Ibiza island history
Ibiza, is the third island of the Balearic archipelago in term of surface. Ibiza forms with Formentera the Pitiüses Islands. It was the name given by the Greek; it means "pine islands".
Situated in the former Phoenicians Sun Road, Ibiza is situated in the western Mediterranean Sea and it has a 572 square kilometres surface and 200 kilometres of coasts. The highest point of the island is Atalaiassa (475 metres) and around the island we can count a total of 48 islands.
The story of Ibiza begins in 1600 years before Jesus Christ, although it is not chronologically referenced before the year 654 when Carthage create Ibosim, today named Eivissa, capital of the Island.
It is Diodoro Siculo who supplies us the first text reference about the island: "... Having been named Sardinia first, the island was called Pitiusa, due to the number of pines on it..."
After the Carthaginian time comes the Roman domination. During this period Ibiza carries the title of Confederate City. The next five centuries are called "dark centuries" due to the few information left. The island was owned by the Barbarians and the Byzantine until the year 711 when Arabic land on the Island and call it "Yebisah".
The historic date for the island is August 8th 1235, date of the Catalan conquest. At this moment the islands of Ibiza and Formentera join "the western world". You have also to note that during centuries Ibiza was a meeting point for the Saracen vessels which ravaged the Mediterranean Sea, protected by the Turkish squadron. It is during these times that were built the towers which surround the island and the aspect of fortress of the rural churches.
Today, the Island of Ibiza is divided into five provinces: Eivissa the capital; Santa Eulària, Sant Antoni, Sant Josep and Sant Joan.